Program Admission

Program Admission

There are two parts to admission in the MA in Science Education Program:

1. Getting admitted to the university to study at the graduate level

2.Getting admitted to the specific program you wish to study

Admission to Graduate study at UNI

The minimum bachelor’s degree grade point average (GPA) for admission to study at UNI is 3.00.  Students with a GPA of 2.75-2.99 may be admitted on a provisional status depending on indicators of academic potential. The Graduate Records Exam (GRE) is NOT required.

Complete the Application to Graduate Study specifying degree choice and “major code” on the application:

  • MA Science Education (major code = 821),

  • MA Science Education – Earth Science Emphasis (major code = 827), or

  • MA Science Education – Physics Emphasis (major code = 828).

The application fee (for non-UNI alumni) is payable by credit card for on-line applications (recommended) or can be submitted with a written application.

Your application must list ALL institutions from which you have completed course work, starting with your bachelor’s degree to the present. Transcripts for your bachelor’s degree and for all course work taken after your bachelor’s degree must be sent  directly to the Office of the Registrar from the granting institution in order to count as "official" transcripts.  Transcripts submitted by students (even if in a sealed envelope) are not accepted as official.

In addition to the general graduate application, you will need to complete the Application to Graduate Study in Science Education

Admission to Graduate study in Science Education

The Application to Graduate Study in Science Education can be found on the Science Education website and is also included as part of your on-line Application to Graduate Study.  The Science Education Application form and required essay can be directly uploaded as attachments to your on-line Application to Graduate Study.

Additionally, one letter of recommendation must be submitted by your reference (the author of the letter) directly to the letter of recommendation system.

Please note that only eight (8) credits of graduate level course work (from either UNI OR transfer credits) earned prior to admittance to the Graduate program can be applied to your program.  Consequently, it is in your best interest to complete the application process soon after beginning your graduate coursework.

Teaching licensure and endorsement is a requirement of this program.  If licensure is not held upon entering the program, it must be completed by the end of the program.  International students returning to their home country upon completion of the degree should work with their advisor with respect to licensure and endorsement requirements.

English as a Second Language

International students and all students for whom English is not their first language, are required to submit TESOL or IELTS exam scores.  Minimum scores required by the graduate college are:

  • paper-based TOEFL score = 550

  • Internet based TOEFL score = 79

  •  IELTS = 6.5

However, a minimum score does not ensure admission into the Science Education program and is decided by the admissions committee on a case-by case basis.

Acceptance To Science Education and Initial Faculty Advisor

Please note that acceptance to graduate study at UNI does not ensure admission to the Science Education Program.  You will be notified by Science Education via email and letter indicating your acceptance status into graduate study in Science Education. Once accepted, you will be assigned a faculty advisor by the Science Education Graduate Coordinator based on the information included on the Science Education application form, or you may indicate a preference of faculty advisor to the Science Education Graduate Coordinator. A list of Science Education Faculty can be found on the Science Education web page.

University Student Service (MYUNIVERSE)

Upon applying to UNI you will be assigned a student number and CatID username.  If you previously attended/graduated from UNI you will reassume your previous student number and CatID, however you will need to re-set your password/passphrase.  The CatID is used for a variety of campus systems including secure Wi-fi access, Email, Blackboard/eLearning and MyUNIverse.

You will be assigned an “” address. Since this is the address used for all University and programmatic announcements, it is highly recommended that you either check this email daily or have email automatically forwarded to another account.  See the ITS website for more detailed email instructions.

Blackboard/eLearning is a course management system which you will likely use in several courses.  It provides a forum for class based discussion boards, electronic access to materials, assignments, assessments, calendars, announcements, and a variety of other course tools.  Check with you individual course instructors for more information.

The MyUNIverse portal allows lifetime access with a current password.  See the new student information page for instructions on how to set your username and password.  Call 319-273-5555 to reset an expired password.  MyUNIverse can be accessed from the UNI home page.  This portal provides access to countless resources and processes required for successful completion of your program including:

  • UNI email access,

  • Checking your University bill (U-bill), and/or financial aid

  • Registration for campus-based classes,

  • Accessing your Advisement Report,

  • Accessing student request forms for changes in your program plan,

  • Accessing transfer credit evaluation forms,

  • Accessing the application to graduate form,

  • Financial Aid,

  • Rod Library resources, etc.

Page last updated 2-2-2018